Follow Me on Feedly RSS Feed Email Me Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Home Finished Projects Recipes Nail Art About Me Who's That? Image Map

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Spiced Pickled Pears

Howdy!

When I started canning the first thing I did was tackle my great-grandmother's Spiced Pickled Pears (a family favorite, especially of my father's, that I never got to try - just hear about my ENTIRE life).  Of course, it wasn't a full recipe, just a list of ingredients.  So, I did a bit of general canning research and came up with the attached recipe.

The longer you can stand to let the pears sit after canning the better.  Mama says that you should always put them up for at least a month.  Note that it is VERY important to use WHOLE spices.  Don't ask how I know...

You can use these for anything you like, but in my family it is traditionally found in a delicious cobbler that is simple and great for dessert or breakfast and never lasted long in our house when I was growing up.  I have attached this recipe, as well.

I truly love family recipes, especially ones from family member that I have only heard about.  They make me feel as if I am getting to know them :)  I am working on a project of going through hundreds, probably thousands, of recipes from my grandmother and great-grandmothers on my mother's side (from where these recipes hail) and compiling and indexing them for future generations.  Then I plan to preserve the originals.  Eventually, I would love to publish a cookbook. :)
Download this picture and print it on an index card.  It is formatted for the proper dimensions of a 3x5 or 4x6 card.

Download this picture and print it on an index card.  It is formatted for the proper dimensions of a 3x5 or 4x6 card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...