Follow Me on Feedly RSS Feed Email Me Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest Home Finished Projects Recipes Nail Art About Me Who's That? Image Map

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

French Toast Casserole

Howdy!
The other evening I couldn't for the life of me decide what I wanted for supper.  So I started rummaging around to see what I had in the frig and pantry.  Then I remembered the Amish Cinnamon Bread I still had half a loaf of. And thought French Toast Casserole sounds great!

I went to searching for a recipe.  I found several, but decided to use this one as my guide.  I used half a loaf of Cinnamon Amish Bread (and did not measure) and an 8x6" casserole.  I used buttermilk instead of regular milk and probably way more vanilla (I LOVE vanilla).  Once I added my egg mixture to to the bread I was like no way this is enough.  So I grabbed three more eggs (all I had) and add the same amount of the other ingredients - again with buttermilk and a little more vanilla than called for.  That brought the egg mixture almost to the top, so I let it soak about 10 minutes before I sprinkled with just enough cinnamon sugar to coat the top (not as much as the original recipe calls for) and popped it in the oven until the eggs were firm and the top was beautiful.
I must say is was nummy nummy.  I had a piece warm with syrup almost immediately and then for breakfast the next day ;)  This would be good with about any bread.  I think next time I am going to include the spice into the egg mixture and possibly use cardamom, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...